Sunday, October 31, 2010

Seasonally Blue



SAD is known as Seasonal affective disorder effects young and old alike.  This is common around this time of year when the season changes, the clocks and light change.  The disruption in your circadian rhythm could be partially to blame along with less hours of daylight, a change in the natural hormone melatonin levels, decrease in the serotonin levels.  All these can contribute to this form of depression.  This is not unusual and there are tests to determine if your body's chemical balance are all at a healthy level.  Doctors do not know exactly all the whats and whys of SAD but do have some information and treatment for this disorder  which had been for years commonly called the 'Winter Blues'. 

3 comments:

  1. It really is tough to keep a smile on your face when you are withstanding frigid temperatures, but with living in New England for my whole life I have become pretty use to it. I have really never minded the winter season but it is also definitely not my favorite in the least bit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit I myself sometimes have the "winter blues." I just hate when the clocks change and it starts getting dark at 4pm! Thats just too early and its seems like you lose so much of the day. In the summer its I feel like it is so much easier to go out in do something for example working out then in the winter where I feel less motivated. Thankfully the winter doesn't last forever! Interesting blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nothing to be happy about when it gets dark at 4:30 pm! But we all know summer and spring seem so much brighter, alive, and funner than the other seasons. It is a sad time but I feel like you just have to make the best of the situation. Some people like to move south where it's still warm. But if you don't have those resources, it's important to keep busy and don't let depression and these feelings get to you. I try and enjoy the winter by playing the snow any chance I get. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete